Saturday, September 20, 2014

Long Hot Run

Woke up this morning just not feeling it.

Spent a lot of Friday hydrating. We went to a wedding in the evening and I made sure to drink lots of water and some (Delicious) pink lemonade in anticipation of this morning's run. By the time we were ready to get out the door - about 11:00 a.m. - we had a very rude surprise: the cool temps and overcast we enjoyed last week were nowhere to be found. Instead, we got 75 degrees, sunny, and 73% humidity. In perspective this doesn't sound so bad since we've run in much worse this summer, but after last week we'd really gotten it in our minds that it was going to be cool. That's Kentucky for you.


The first few miles felt pretty gross, but I expected that they would. I usually hate the first mile of any run. It reminds me of how I used to hate warming up in swimming. It hurts, i'm sore, I'm bored, and I pretty much think about how much I hate what I'm doing. But then, almost in sync with my garmin beeping "one mile", I feel a lot better. I knew we were starting out too fast but I've never really figured out how to pace with Josh. I can't get a good feel for the pace. Regardless, I tried to slow us down, which seemed to work. I kept dumping water on myself and drinking a lot. While I'd planned on taking my Gu Chomp around mile 5, I felt pretty crappy when we got closer to four. We hit a stoplight so I took that as a sign that I needed some nutrition. I let myself walk while I chewed and drank enough to make sure I got the chomp down. Then we pressed on.

I hate to say that I had to walk a little bit more the last few miles. Anytime my virtual partner would get 0.xx miles ahead of my goal, I'd let myself walk until it went back down to .yy ahead of my goal. While I'm happy with our overall pace, I'm disappointed that it's not more consistent. Oh well, the biggest thing is that We did it!!


Not sure how we went faster?

Happy Saturday!

How's the weather where you live?
Did you run today?

No comments:

Post a Comment