Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Biggest Goals

Lately, I've found myself feeling stagnant and unmotivated. We sign up for Half Marathon's and then muddle through a half-assed training program. Each time, I finish about the same. After I started law school I quickly realized I would never be as fast as I was in 2008-2009. That was the year I was at home, working for Americorps, and put my whole heart and soul into running. And what an amazing experience that was. I ran a 2:15 half marathon on my second try and a 4:45 full marathon on my first go-round; both of them, all by myself. Both were moments that made me abundantly proud and extraordinarily happy. Both were feelings I've not achieved since.

Which I think is why, in following Jaime over at Couch to Ironwoman I really connected with her "let down" after finishing Ironman Louisville. In a post a bit after returning home from IMLou, she wrote:

"I have cried a few times, for pretty much no reason other than I think about our Ironman, the training and all of the time that we put into it. I don't want to be sad about it, I want to be happy that we accomplished our goal and that now we can move on to bigger and better things."
I absolutely identify with that feeling. I always wonder, "Do I have another marathon in me?" or "Will I ever feel that way again?" These questions, along with my lag in training, have left me feeling largely underwhelmed with myself.  In wondering if I've hit my peak, I feel as though I've let myself down.

So i've decided to do something about it.

I signed up for Ironman 70.3 Muncie!
In July 2015 I will swim 1.2 miles, Bike 56 and finish a half marathon. I will feel that feeing again. In the weeks between my decision to enter and registration, I felt an excitement I haven't felt since I signed up for the Flying Pig 26.2 back in 2009. It's electrifying.

God bless my sweet husband, Josh, he is on board and as supportive as can be. We talked about how my time would be further torn between work, home, and training. We talked about how this was going to be really hard. I think he realized how much I needed this and how happy just talking about it made me, so he pushed me over the edge to register.

So with the registration came the need for a bike. After 2 weeks of shopping and waiting, I finally found the perfect ride:


I'm needing out over it so hard. I went out last Friday for my first real 'ride'. Wow. I have so much to learn. That's the exciting part. and the scary part. I have no clue how to do this. It wasn't until I got on the bike that I finally thought "What did I get myself into?". But I'm in it. And I can't wait to feel that feeling again.

Happy Running!

Have you ever had the post-run blues? 
What are your goals for next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment