Sunday, October 23, 2011

You can't spell S%*$ without 'IT'

Today's workout: Cardio Recovery and Volleyball (later)

Lets just get this out there:
  • Thursday's run felt amazing. It was absolutely energizing and renewing
  • Friday morning my knee was the size of a big fat apple - couldn't bend it past 90 degrees, can't squat, nothing
  • After a week of smart food choices, good workouts, and NO peeking on the scale, I finally got on the scale on Saturday ready to see some preliminary results. I was not ready to see the that I'd actually gained weight
Friday and Saturday were long, stressful days that reminded me very glad I'd gotten a run in. After about 5 hours of sleep I was up Saturday morning for a Law School competition. To say I was underprepared would be an understatement. In running terms, I'd prepared for a marathon with a long run of 13 miles. Needless to say, it was stressful and I was exhausted but I advanced to the semi-finals! So...I get to do it again next week. 
And the Cards won too!
Is it too much to ask that we both win next week too?
After 5 hours of constant mental stimulation I was shot, my knee was still swelling, and I just couldn't endure a workout. So I put a big circle on my workout chart (signifying 'missed') and spent the evening walking with J, eating froyo and drinking microbrews. GREAT decision. 

I'm at the end of my rope in terms of my IT band. It only bothers me when I run. I've been doing Insanity® for 3 weeks and it has yet to rub, swell, or irritate me. In fact it's gotten more flexible and comfortable. Then I run for 40 minutes and I can't bend it for 3 days. Infuriating. A friend of mine who coaches Cross Country at my Alma Mater reminded me I needed to be more diligent with the foam roller. "Four or five times a day, at least" he tells me. Okay Coach, I'll do my best. 

Still feeling pretty tight and tender, I changed today's workout and did the recovery video instead of the scheduled workout. Boy am I glad I did. It's a working recovery video with lots of squats, yoga and pilates moves. It definitely helped to shake out the stiffness that comes with not working out for a few days.  Afterwards I immediately jumped into a warm bath with epsom salts & hit the foam roller. It's up to you now, IT band. Don't disappoint!

As far as the weight goes - I'm doing my best not to feel defeated. Sometimes your body is resistant to change, right? Well listen here, body - change is coming!

How do you deal with nagging injuries? How do you rebound from bad weeks on the scale?

No comments:

Post a Comment